What is ZeroNet?
When you install the software you’ll be able to connect with peers, thus download files that contain the code to run any website you want to visit – that web site can then run locally on your own computer.
once you permit that web site, the files will remain your laptop thus you may then begin ‘seeding’ them – sharing them with peers who might have to go to that web site within the future.
Motivational factors behind project ZeroNet area unit –
- Open, free, and unexpurgated network and communication.
- No single purpose of failure: web site remains online so long as at least one peer serving it.
- No hosting costs: Sites area unit served by visitors.
- impossible to shut down: It’s nowhere because it’s everywhere.
- quick and works offline: you’ll access the site even though your internet is unavailable.
How to Connect to ZeroNet Network?
You will need to install the software from ZeroNet GitHub page so as to be ready to connect to ZeroNet. it is written in python, thus you may need to have python installed on your machine. On Windows, its pretty simple just by running zeronet.py. scans.
If your anti-virus quarantines/deletes/blocks a move into the tools/upnpc folder–the file is used to open a port on your router for sharing the web site files and to use the software you–will need to tell your anti-virus to restore this files and ignore it in future scans. After that, you’ll follow steps below –
- After starting
zeronet.py, you will be able to visit ZeroNet sites using
- When you visit a new ZeroNet site, it tries to find peers using the BitTorrent network, so it can download the site files (html, css, js…) from them.
- Each visited site also gets served by you.
- Every site contains a
site.jsonwhich holds all other files in a sha512 hash and a signature generated using site’s private key.
- If the site owner (who has the private key for the site address) modifies the site, then he/she signs the new
content.jsonand publishes it to the peers. After the peers have verified the
content.jsonintegrity (using the signature), they download the modified files and publish the new content to other peers.